[Healeys] O2 Meters

David Masucci drmasucci at comcast.net
Wed Aug 19 14:10:20 MDT 2009

I have the Innovate LM2 dual sensor meter. It is amazing watching it. It just helped me diagnose a vacuum leak in my brake servo. I went nuts trying to get my BJ8 carbs to run as expected. I could tune mixtures for one speed, and it would be wrong everywhere else.

Once I installed the dual sensors, I could set the carbs to have an air/fuel ratio around 12 to 13 while cruising, but it would always go off at idle. It was amazing to see. The rear carb would be lean at idle while the front would be correct. I just could not balance the mixture  with the idle bypass adjustment screws.

I blocked off the brake servo hose, and then I could balance the idle. Well it turned out that the leak was even messing up the mixture at cruise as I then had to readjust the main jet for that speed. It was bleeding enough air to mess it up at cruise.

Do you need this tool...of course not. But I have forever wanted to know what my mixture is at different throttle settings and under different load conditions. I can now see that I can make it just right at idle, AND spot-on at cruise. I also see that when I step on it, I am getting a mixture of around 15 to 17 to 1 which is too lean for acceleration. I am now playing with oil viscosity in the dashpots. I'll let you know how I make out. Once I get my new Powertune brake servo installed, I can continue the fun!

Dave
BJ8