[Healeys] flat towing a big Healey

Len and/or Marge Hartnett thehartnetts at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 12 20:55:51 MDT 2009

John:  I did, in fact, tow my Healey from California to Whistler '86, the
11th West Coast Meet.  I had an Australian exchange student with me so I
took the van and we camped up and back.  On the way back, we visited Expo
'86 in Vancouver.

My tow bar was designed by Ken Rocke of the Austin Healey Association,
Southern California, and may have been published in one of their
newsletters/magazines.  I did not have any problems getting into Canada - or
getting out.  As Michael Salter did, I fabricated the brackets to attach to
the bumper bracket threads in the frame.

A somewhat embarrassing but an extremely lucky aside, that is the trip when
the receiver sheared a couple of bolts and the Healey broke loose from the
van.  Since the safety chains were connected to the receiver, the Healey was
completely separated from the van.  Luckily, it happened at a stop sign in
Vancouver and not out on the highway.  The Healey ran into the spare tire on
the van and wrinkled the left fender but didn't break the headlight.  I
became the only one at the meet who could boast (?) of having run into
himself.  For that, I received "The Klutz Award" at the banquet.

(The Other) Len
Vacaville, CA, USA
1967 AH 3000 MkIII, HBJ8L39031