[Healeys] flat towing a big Healey

Michael Salter msalter at precisionsportscar.com
Wed Aug 12 17:15:10 MDT 2009

The towing brackets fitted to the Canadian cars are really just tow eye used
for pulling cars out of the snow banks which occupy most of Canada for most
of the year.
They are only about 3/16" thick and not really suitable for attaching a tow
bar.
I fabricated 1/2" brackets which attached to the bumper bracket threads on
the inside of the frame. I experienced exactly the same issues with the
steering not returning to straight of sharp turns and that the tow vehicle
tended to get pushed around a lot by the towed vehicle in slow travel with
turns.
I decided it just was not really too safe as on occasion the total rig
tended to develop a bit of a speed wobble at highway speeds which made me
very uneasy!!

Michael Salter
http://www.netbug.net/blogmichael/?p=445