[Healeys] What Should We Do With Our Cars?

Jack Feldman qualitas.jack at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 18:07:17 MDT 2009

 >Makes one wonder what we "should" be doing to our cars. ;^)

Anything we want to do.

This is what I did with my MGBGT to make it a real touring car.

Engine Modifications
HEAD
   Ported & Polished
   Intake ports opened to take larger 1 3/4 carburetors
   Modified for unleaded gasoline
   Heavy duty valve springs for higher revs
BLOCK
   Mild street cam
   Bored .040 over
   Pistons, rods, and crankshaft balanced
   Shaved flywheel
   Double timing chain
   Motor driven fan replaced with thermostatically controlled electric fan
ELECTRICAL
    Euro Halogen headlights
    Driving and fog lights (in progress)
    Courtesy lights added
    Uprated electrical system
        Ignition relay
        Headlight, Fog, and Driving Lights wiring relays (fused)
        Horn relay
    Power window and door locks
    3rd brake light
OTHER MODIFICATIONS
   Overdrive transmission replaced 4 speed
   New aluminum wheels, wider tyres
   Replace bonnet (hood), and rear deck props with gas filled struts
  Cruise Control added
  Rear shocks changed to gas tube.
  Modern four speaker radio with cassette and short wave bands (I'm KA9HEL
in another hobby).
  GPS
  OEM Sunroof
  Map pockets added

My purist son objected when I added cruise control to the MGC, which, at the
time, was my main road car. When we drove three long days from Minneapolis
to his home in Oregon he suddenly discovered that cruise controle was not
such a bad idea after all. Cruise control is becoming an popular MGB add on.

Its your car. Please yourself.

BTW, my BT7 is totally stock, with no plans to change anything. It is great
the way it is.

Jack