[Healeys] Cell phone use

Fred Wescoe fredwescoe at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 16:14:25 MDT 2009

Listers,

I can state unequivocally that I am against use of a cell phone (any other
distraction included) while driving a car.  Period.  There is simply no call
that is more important than my life and the lives of the occupants of my
car.  That is what voice mail is for.  I check mine when I am parked
somewhere and respond if necessary.

June 9, of last year, I made a left hand turn, from the highway, into the
entrance road of a gas station (yes, I had the right of way and the light)
and a cop, who was on his cell phone, pulled out and broadsided me, in the
drivers' door.  I could see him as he drove into my car.  I watched him as
he hung up and dialed the police dispatcher.

When I crawled out the passenger side of the car, the cop asked why didn't I
see him.  My response was that I had the light and the right of way and he
should have seen me and not been on his cell phone.  His response "Get back
in your car, I am a cop".  He never asked if I was hurt or if I need an EMT
squad.  I sensed this scene would not end well.

When all was said and done, the official police report (my report) of the
accident, indicated on the "Conditions contributing to the accident" line,
"nothing".  On the cop's report (the other driver) the statement was "Driver
inattention".

So, the accident reporting officer basically said the cop driver was at
fault, not paying attention (on his cell phone) at the time.  I still have
my copy of the police report filed with my insurance company, if anyone
would like to see it.  My insurance company laughed at the report and then
told me they were totaling my car (not the Healey, but an Audi turbo, 5
speed) and sending me a check.  Of course the check was not as much as it
should have been, it never is.

So, even the cops can not drive, pay attention to the road, situations
around them, and be safe on a cell phone at same time.

No one was injured and that is the only thing that counts.  Cars and
vehicles can be replaced or repaired.  Drivers and occupants on the other
hand, often cannot be repaired completely and certainly not replaced.

Our kids also follow the same practice.  I have called them and when they
respond, their first comment was they were driving and waited until they
were parked somewhere.  I am happy with that.

Fred
63 BJ7