[Healeys] Socket Drive Dimensions

andy pole ampole at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 3 10:51:46 MDT 2009

Kees

You actually confirmed what I was hinting at, that unfortunately due to the
times the building trade (layman) still order in feet and inches but it has to
be labelled in metric to 'comply'. And as you correctly identified that a
planed piece of 2" will reduce from 50mm to 45mm, the wood has never changed
only the politically correct label, but to the trade its still 2" planed.

I think your problem in the 70s is that this was when we attempted to change
(or have it forced on us)

I think you will find 8" is still 2440mm (they round it up from 2438.4mm to
make it easier)

I have been 'dragged' up using both forms of measurement and did some full
size 'setting out' for a time (look it up). I still have to think twice about
unf though, and usually pick up the wrong spanner.

cheers Andy