[Healeys] Socket Drive Dimensions

Oudesluys coudesluijs at chello.nl
Mon Aug 3 09:55:43 MDT 2009

Andy,

When I lived in London in the early 70's I could not get 2"x3" timber
but only 45mm x 70mm, (machined 2"x3") and indicated as such. Plywood
was 1250mm x 2500mm or 1500mm x 3000mm, which I found very odd and
amusing at the time as in the NL these timbers were/are still referred
to as 2x3 and the sheets are still 2440mm x 1220mm, hence my remark.
You are right that 8'x4' should be labeled as 8'x4' and not in mm v.v.
which is rather senseless. If a metric equivalent would be used it
should be 1250mm x 2500mm.

Still I prefer the metric threads, simpel and straight forward. To many
sorts of UK and USA standards of threads (and associated threads) that
can be very much alike and actually sometimes can be screwed together
without a proper fit. Even finding the proper socket for it can be a
chore, some indicated by the thread and others AF and the actual socket
sizes not being interchangable, which leads to a WW-set, a BSF-set, an
AF set and who knows what. The worst thing is that in most British cars
several of these different UK and USA thread standards are used in one car.

Kees Oudesluijs
NL