[Healeys] Little Aussie bleeder! (5th time lucky)

Quinn, Patrick Patrick.Quinn at det.nsw.edu.au
Wed Apr 29 19:21:39 MDT 2009

G'day Peter

You make no reference to using anything but 2 blokes and whatever spanner it
takes.

Norman Gunstan aside I have tried all sorts of gizmos to bleed brakes, but
always come back to a simple piece of clear plastic tubing and a glass jar.
The tubing comes from your local hardware store and a clean Vegemite or jam
jar works perfectly.

Simply fit one end of the tubing over the bleed nipple making sure it's a snug
fit and the other end sits in the jar. You can pour some brake fluid into the
jar if you wish or leave it dry.

Then with someone sitting in the driver's seat, (Normally a bloke, as for some
reason women have trouble with the in and out action) and the other person
would be lying on the floor next to the wheel in question with a ring spanner
placed on the bleed nipple.

The bloke in the driver's seat pumps the brakes about a half dozen times (or
until some resistance is felt) and holds his foot down on the pedal. Then the
spanner operator undoes the bleed nipple and the fluid will pass through the
tube into the jar. While the pedal pusher keeps his foot down the spanner
operator closes the nipple.

This is repeated until all air in the form of bubbles has passed through the
tube.

I normally start with the wheel furthest away from the brake master cylinder
ie the passenger side rear. Then work towards the closest. If you have the
wheel cylinders with ball bearing stoppers you will have to ensure that these
a free moving.

The purpose of the jar is that once the tube is full of fluid it prevents
re-entry of air. Has worked for me every time.

My wife and I will probably be in Brisbane for the Cootha Classic at the end
of May. You going? (http://www.coothaclassic.com.au/)

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn
Sydney, Australia