[Healeys] Rattling noise on hard acceleration

Patrick Yoas pyoas at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 29 07:16:50 MDT 2009

Peter,
I think I had the same problem several years ago from what you describe. I
replaced the U-Joints and it went away.
Patrick

Subject: [Healeys] Rattling noise on hard acceleration

My BJ7 makes a metallic-sounding rattling noise, coming more or less from
the right rear of the car when I accelerate hard pulling away from a stop
sign.  It sounds almost like I am dragging part of my exhaust system or some
piece of sheet metal is hitting a rotating part.  If I accelerate gently I
don't get the noise.  It happens mostly in first gear but occasionally in
second as well.  The car runs smoothly at parkway speeds.

I have checked:

- The drive shaft does not seem to be hitting anything.
- The exhaust system is mounted solidly and does not appear to be hitting
anything.
- I insulated the rod which links the right side hand brake lever with the
one on the left wheel where it passes through a loop on the back of the
differential.
- I insulated the brake cable casing where it contacts the spring on the
right side of the car.
- I pulled the right rear brake drum and found no loose parts.
- The rear wheels do not seem to be contacting the body of the car.

One more clue is that this noise started happening right after a made
several hard (like stand on the brakes) stops while testing my brakes last
fall.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Peter Schauss