[Healeys] exhaust header

Alan Bromfield alan.bromfield at virgin.net
Thu Apr 23 09:53:30 MDT 2009

Hi Gary.

I'm not convinced that these new rubbers will settle very much. A sixteenth
maybe but not the half inch plus you are looking for.  My solution was a bit
different and can best be explained with the pics attached.  The list will
strip them for others so bear with me.

The clearance for the rebound rubber to the top of the engine mount rubber
is 1/22" (see clearance.jpg) and you are expected to shim that down to
reduce the gap.  The gap is enormous and will take more than shims!  1/22"
is less than 1mm and any settling in the engine mount would use up that gap
very quickly.  It certainly wouldn't settle further once the gap had closed
completely.  The diagonal offset I mentioned in the engine mount block,
presents an edge to the rebound rubber and not the pair of metal plates that
would be expected if the plates were parallel. My fix came in two parts.

First I ground off the top edge of the high plate, taking a sliver of rubber
with it, until the top edge of the block was truly square and flat. I then
filed the holes in parts 5 and 17 (see assembly.jpg or Plate AK in the parts
list) elongating them until I could assemble with the 1/22" gap needed.
Bolt the whole thing up tight using self locking nuts as you won't see those
nuts ever again.

The result was an engine that sat at the correct height.  I know many will
have reservations about slotted holes but it worked for me.

If anyone wants the pics let me know and I'll post them for collection.

Best......

AlanB.

  _____