[Healeys] Which Brake / Clutch Fluid In Australia?

Graham and Lorraine Wilkie glwilkie at bigpond.com
Thu Apr 23 01:30:37 MDT 2009

Hello,

I have relocated permanently back to Australia after residing in the USA
for several years; I shipped my BJ8 back home with me.

I need to replace the flex hose to the clutch slave cylinder, and wish
to flush and bleed the brake fluid as well. My problem is that I cannot
obtain Castrol GT LMA Brake Fluid here, which I was using in the USA. I
have been advised that Castrol GT LMA Brake Fluid is not available in
Australia.

I am looking for an alternative brake / clutch fluid readily obtainable
in Australia. I have been told by the local auto parts shop retailer
that "Castrol Response Dot 4" and "Castrol Response Super Dot 4" are
acceptable, as is "Penrite Brake Fluid 525 Super Dot 4".

I thought it might be prudent to ask for counsel from Healey owners /
drivers on the matter before making a decision. Any advice would be
greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Graham Wilkie.
BJ8.