[Healeys] Smittys and Speedo

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Wed Apr 22 12:07:57 MDT 2009

I had the exact same problem with my speedo, except it manifested itself with a periodic jump from an otherwise solid indicator. I was able to glue the crack and glued a nylon washer on the outside for reinforcement. Had to file the gears a bit with a jeweler's file to get smooth meshing.

Bob

In speedometers that have failed on me, the problem you describe has been
due to the small 'nylon' or plastic gears that drive the numbers splitting
on their shafts causing two teeth to have a wider gap between them. The
driving gear then jams up where split because it can not mesh properly.
Replacement of the broken gear has solved the problem.

(The Other) Len
Vacaville, CA, USA
1967 AH 3000 MkIII, HBJ8L39031