[Healeys] Shop safety (was Breaking rusted bolts)

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sun Apr 12 19:24:00 MDT 2009

I once worked as a lab tech handling dangerous ag chemicals in small and large quantities.  One compound--Phosdrin--had an LD50 of 10; IOW it's
extremely toxic (a couple drops on your skin and you'd be dead in a half-hour without treatment; i.e. atropine).  Another I worked with
frequently--Nemagon--barely registered an LD50; however it smelled vicious and I usually was pretty careful with it.  A couple years later we found
out Nemagon exposure could cause sterility; my 19-year-old son is testament that I didn't get exposed TOO bad ;)

Don't disregard flammability, either.  One of my colleagues looked a bit like a Frankenstein monster; he'd poured a flammable down the drain which
exploded and burned him severely.

bs