[Healeys] Breaking rusted bolts

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sat Apr 11 21:32:14 MDT 2009

Well, I did a bit of research:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetone
http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/tfacts21.html

The second source states:
"The Department of Health and Human Services, the International Agency for Research on Cancer, and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) have not classified acetone for carcinogenicity.

Acetone does not cause skin cancer in animals when applied to the skin. We don't know if breathing or swallowing acetone for long periods will cause cancer. Studies of workers exposed to it found no significant risk of death from cancer."

I think the reference to acetone being "an absolute known carcinogen" may be a bit speculative--doesn't mean you shouldn't be careful with the stuff--especially since government agencies are inclined to declare a substance carcinogenic if there's even the slightest epidemiological evidence of association.

I think the "life shortening stories" are just that: stories. A lot of people tend to associate cause and effect without thoughtful consideration; e.g. "I used acetone, I got cancer, therefore the acetone caused the cancer." Not exactly good science.

bs

No one that lived to tell about it.

For the life of me I will never understand why
any one would even consider using a product that is an absolute known
carcinogen
just to remove or clean a rusted part. There are enough products to use
now that
won't kill you , but may take a bit longer to derust, but still do the job.
Personally I'll
take the longer route.

I can remember a couple of life shortening stories from some of our old list
buddies that
were pretty insistent that their serious health problems were brought on by
not using
precautionary measures when using hazardous products during hobby time.

Just the slightest scent of acetone makes me want to head for the hills.

Use what you want gentlemen, but think first.

Mark