[Healeys] Overdrive Idiot light

BJ8 Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Sun May 25 20:03:23 MDT 2008

Mark, I have had an overdrive indicator light in my BJ8 since the '80s, and
it frequently reminds me to turn off the switch before putting the car in
reverse.  It has also simplified troubleshooting a couple of times when the
overdrive didn't engage when it should have (i.e., no overdrive, no light =
it's not a hydraulic problem, and it's not the solenoid or gear switch).  It
also tells me when the throttle switch is working properly, since it stays
on when the dash switch is turned off until I touch the gas.
Yes, it's true that it is not a positive indication that the overdrive
itself is engaged or not.  For that, you probably need some kind of pressure
switch that operates off of the O/D hydraulics, not the electrics.  Even
then, it wouldn't be fool-proof.
The only time my O/D has failed to disengage was apparently a mechanical or
hydraulic problem due to bad (Wal-Mart Accel 30W non-detergent) oil, last
summer, fixed merely by a change to Redline MTF90.  Any warning light wired
into the overdrive electrical or hydraulic system would not have picked that
up.

I have the light wired in parallel with the dash switch (photo attached for
Mark).

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry