[Healeys] Speedo Info (Pt. 1)

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sat May 17 23:03:37 MDT 2008

There's been a lot of informative and helpful replies to my jumpy speedo
problem, so I'd like to share what I've found.  Today, I dropped in my
"backup" speedo that's geared for a 3.9 rear end.  It was steady and
solid (well, at least as solid as any Healey speedo I've seen ;)   This
indicated that the cable and right angle drive were OK, so I screwed up
the courage to disassemble the jumpy speedo.  Besides some gunk from a
rubber buffer that is apparently used to isolate the movement from the
case (this stuff had turned gooey), there was no obvious problem.

So, I started turning the mechanism with a small screwdriver and lo and
behold, it's binding at a regular interval.  On closer inspection, I
noticed that one of the small gears that drive either the odometer or
the trip meter had a radial crack and, sure enough, that's where the
binding occurred.  Long story short, I believe the movement would bind
every 10 or so turns of the cable, causing the cable to wind up then
release when the binding area moved past the worm gear.

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell at comcast.net