[Healeys] OT: Prius. Delete if not curious

rwil at sbcglobal.net rwil at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 7 16:35:29 MDT 2008

You wrote:
Had a chance to drive a Prius this past weekend.
Over the past three years my wife and I have driven our Prius some 75000 miles. Our mileage on California freeways at 75+ and secondary roads has almost never been below 46 mpg per tank.  There are some nonintuitive tricks that can help mileage

I would agree that handling on curvy roads is not the Prius' strong point. Here are a few suggestions:  inflate tires to 40psi. Replace tires with better ones; those OEM factory tires are good for mileage and price only. There are groups like the Yahoo priuschat where you can get some suspension modifications that may help. And feed it a little power on those curves.

You can buy a new Prius for something like $22000 although ours has about everything the factory could think of plus leather upholstery.

Here in Hawaii where we are now, regular gas is about $4.25 per gallon. And we are starting to see more Priuses here now.

I am waiting for someone to make a Prius-like version of a Subaru Forester -- the smallest vehicle that can hold us, our 100# Newfoundland and stuff for a few days' trip.

-Roland
BN1 #724
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T