[Healeys] Trafficator, horn problem

Michael Salter msalter at precisionsportscar.com
Mon Mar 31 12:44:34 MST 2008

Hi Bob,

Presumably the BJ7 has an adjustable steering wheel. Regardless of whether
or not it does you can release the stator tube by loosening the brass nut on
the bottom of the steering box. To pull the entire tube and harness out you
will need to disconnect the wiring up behind the grille and carefully feed
the bullets up through the box. Oil will run out of the steering box (or
should) so be ready to catch that.

I would suspect that the car has an adjustable wheel and that the short tube
has rusted to the long one or been forced down too far.

I have encountered a number of these switches where people have bent back
and broken the "ears" off. This problem can be corrected with careful
application of some spots of weld on the broken ears, but it is tricky to
get the head on exactly straight.

Michael Salter

100 (1953)

AHX12 (1953)