[Healeys] Help - Oil smoke in exhaust

Alan Bromfield alan.bromfield at virgin.net
Tue Mar 25 00:31:59 MST 2008

Hey Peter.
Many thanks for your input. We have discovered that it is definitely
something to do with the smog kit. We have had a couple of days of
experimentation to try and pin the problem down because it only happens from
dead cold moving toward warm-up.

The smog kit on this car comprises an oil seperator canister on the timing
case that vents through a tube to the crankcase ventilation valve and into
the inlet manifold.  If the connecting tube (canister to valve) is
disconnected, so that the crankcase pressure vents to atmosphere, we get air
intake through the ventilation valve. That really screws the carburation so,
with a bung in the ventilation valve to stop it drawing air, the smoke
problem goes away. It is therefore not valve guides or piston blow-by, but a
breathing/pressure problem in the smog arrangements.  I can't believe that -
"They all do that sir" - as the salesman said to the punter.

The trick now is to find which bit isn't behaving. I'll keep you informed if
we get any closer to pinning it down.

Cheers..........

            http://www.nfahc.co.uk
        http://www.healey-weekend.com