[Healeys] 64 BJ8 Starting

richard mayor mayorrichard at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 22 19:51:09 MST 2008

I have a couple of additional suggestions for starting up fresh engine, that
is, one with a freshly reground cam, or new lifters, or both. Breaking in the
cam is critical. Plan on having at least two other guys present who are
knowledgable about engines. Once the engine is started, you do not want to
shut if off. Therefore, one person should be dedicated to taking care of
engine timing. Another should be looking for leaks. Make sure there is coolant
in the system and if you do this in the summer, have a box fan handy to put in
front of the radiator. Once started, get the RPMs up to about 1800 and hold it
there steady. Do not rev it up and down. Keep the engine running for at least
20 -25 minutes. Do it outside in the open air. You may have to add some water
as air could be trapped in the block before start-up (or that "good" water
pump could decide to start leaking). I always start up a fresh motor with
carburetors that have been already been on an engine and properly adjusted -
the same goes for the distributor. Minimize as many potential problems that
you can envision. Good luck & have fun. Richard Mayor