[Healeys] Rear brakes locking up

sebring at illawarra.hotkey.net.au sebring at illawarra.hotkey.net.au
Tue Mar 4 21:52:52 MST 2008

Quoting Jorge Garcia <fortee9er at yahoo.com>:

> The rear brakes on my BJ8 lock rather easily. I can
> hear the rear drum brakes squeal and lock up from at
> 25-35 mph when I am stopping at a STOP in the
> neighborhood. I have checked the rear brake shoes and
> they are not worn. What could be causing the premature
> locking of the rear brakes?
> Thanks
> Jorge Garcia
> 1965 BJ8
>

>   It can sometimes happen that badly adjusted and too loose brake shoe
adjustment can cause the leading shoe to lock on a low speeds because the
design shoes has a self apply force created by the friction of the shoe against
the drum. This is made worse if drums are out of round,shoe linlings are new
and not machined to the drum inside radius or shoe/spring assembly does not
centralise the shoe. Excessive gaps accentuate this effect
Joe

____