[Healeys] Bureacracy

John Sims ahbn6 at optonline.net
Tue Jun 10 16:02:42 MDT 2008

Don't try to get a drivers license in New Jersey. You need five types of ID.

When I went in for a renewal two years ago, I took the form I received in
the mail, my old license and a check. They refused to renew it because I
could not prove my ID. (mail in renewals are impossible) I returned with my
valid US Passport - refused -- good enough for the US but not NJ. Actually
had the civil servant tell me that the passport did not prove that I was
ever born and that I was an American citizen -- at least that is what I
think his broken English was meant  to say. I returned with my birth
certificate, no good -- it did not have a raised seal on it. Bear in mind,
each time they really did not tell me what else I needed. So, I drove to the
next town and was able to renew with no hassle.

My wife (second) had to get a certified birth certificate, certified
marriage certificate (first marriage), copy of her divorce decree with a
seal from the county, certified marriage certificate to me. Took us months
to collect all this stuff and finally she said to heck with it and does not
drivel Oh, by the way, her passport was no good for NJ either.

All this despite the fact that about one half of the 9-11 bastards were able
to sail in and get valid NJ drivers licenses just by showing up and stating,
in effect, "here I am give me a license"

John Sims, BN6
Aberdeen, NJ

www.healey6.com