[Healeys] Anybody else noticed this?

John Harper ah at jharper.demon.co.uk
Fri Jun 6 10:37:38 MDT 2008

I wonder if anybody has come across this before and have any comments to
make.

I am talking about the 'big' Healey overdrive solenoid. In my case Lucas
76515 Date Code 4878. Although almost 30 years old I fitted one of these
about 4 years ago as new, old stock. For some reason when running for a
long time on a motorway recently the coil burnt out for no obvious
reason. Almost certainly the operating coil contacts had made although
all external adjustments appeared to be correct.

I opened up the solenoid to see what might have caused the fault and was
surprised to find, under the nylon inner cap, that this was filled with
white soft rubber. It looks as if this had been injected somehow and
allowed to set. What seems to be very strange is that this rubber was
interfering with the correct action of the contacts. This all seems
wrong to me; hence my concern.

I have two other new, old stock solenoids with the same date code and I
am considering removing all the rubber before using them. I used the
helpful query service of ODSpares in Rugby UK and this was their prompt
reply.

'There is no need to remove all of the white rubber but certainly clean
away any that will cause problems with the movement of the points or the
little plunger that activates the points.

Some of the Lucas ones were prone to this problem'

Any further advice or comment?

Regards
--
John Harper