[Healeys] rear hub and axel

Alan Seigrist healey.nut at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 00:39:49 MDT 2008

Paul -

The fact that your paper gasket is damaged is indicative of other
problems - likely your rear spline hub was not on tight enough and the
brake drums / hubs / splines were wobbling around for quite some time
- probably where your noise was coming from - this is a common problem
from poor maintenance.

DO NOT, I repeat , DO NOT use silicone sealer in lieu of the paper
gasket.  If you have your paper gasket (get the proper one from a
healey supplier, don't make your own - they are made to a precise
thickness) and the O ring replaced (also replace the Hub oil seals), I
can promise you you will not have any leakage at all provided your lug
bolts on the spline hub are kept tight.  My BJ8 hasn't leaked oil out
of the diff in 15 years since I  fixed it.

Basically what I am saying is fix the job right, like it was from the
factory, and you won't have any problems here.  Trying to outsmart the
factory design for the rear hubs is pointless, and more than likely
will work against you.  The thing is bullet proof, you just have to
maintain your car properly.

Alan