[Healeys] rear hub and axel

Paul Choiniere Paulch at charter.net
Sun Jun 1 23:05:11 MDT 2008

I just came back from our first 2 hr ride and it was on the back of a flat
bed other then that it was great. I stopped the car when I heard a thumping
coming from my rear axel. I looked at the drivers side rear tire and it
seamed loose then I reached around and came out with a hand full of gear
oil. I have disassembled the drivers side and found the thin paper gasket
that was holding the oil in was bad in about a 2 space the rest of it was
still intact .This car has been sitting a long time could the gasket have
gone bad in this one spot from just sitting?? Also one of the screws holding
the break drum in was broken and the screw that was holding the axel in was
striped or at least aperies to be striped on the very end but the last < or
this screw still had sufficient threads to hold. Sorry for the long
beginning I have a couple of? Instead of using that paper gasket could I use
a silicone sealer of some sort? And how much further should I check the rear
end out .This was the same axel that was installed when I bought it brakes
and the entire previous owner said it had been rebuilt so all I did was
check the fluid and adjust the brakes. The other side still seems fine?? All
help and suggestions would be appreciated as always this list has been a
huge help.

Paul Choiniere