[Healeys] Clutch

Fred Wescoe fredwescoe at windstream.net
Fri Jul 25 04:21:03 MDT 2008

My first car was a TR3 and I was told not to depress the clutch and to keep it
in neutral.  It would always crank faster that way.  Of course it was the only
way the hand crank worked and I did use that often when the battery was low.

Healeys have the starting dog but no ability to start with a hand crank.

I practiced the same clutch out and in neutral starting process on my Audi
turbo.  I replaced the clutch at 120,000 miles and when comparing the
thickness to the original type replacement, it was only 40% used.  I now have
160,000 on the second clutch and it is going strong.

My new 5 speed Golf, however, requires the clutch to be depressed and in
neutral for the starting procedure.  I guess almost all new cars now have this
as a starting procedure.

I wonder how we are to get a new car, with a clutch, started and home when we
loose the clutch.

Any ideas?

Fred
63 BJ7