[Healeys] Healey storage

kentmclean at comcast.net kentmclean at comcast.net
Mon Jul 21 09:34:51 MDT 2008

RIchard wrote:
> I realize it is rather early to be talking about winter storage but my trip to
> the states ends in a 10 days and I found a nice garage to store my Healey next
> to a beautiful XK 120.My question is whether I should put it up on jack stands
> for 11 months or not. The tires are new, everything else about the car is 52
> years old.

Storage is bad for a car.  Why don't you leave the keys with me and I'll,
ah, hmmm, exercise the car every few weeks until you return?

If that doesn't work for you, then raising it on jack stands wouldn't hurt.
Usually driving the car a bit will work the flat spots out, but if they car
sits too long, who knows.  Better to jack it up and be sure.

The down side to using jack stands to keep the tires off the ground is
the stress to the suspension bits of being at full extension for so long.

I think it's danged-if-you-do, danged-if-you-don't.

--
Kent McLean
'59 100 BN2