[Healeys] RE- 62bt7 -black arcing dust on the distributor rotor

tammy neumann bj867 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 21 08:01:07 MDT 2008

Kurk,

I had a similar problem with my BJ8.  It was misfiring and had no power soon after a full electrical tune-up.  I found a thin coating of black powder inside the distributor cap.
I determined this was carbon powder that came from the carbon brush (top center of the distributor cap that makes contact with the rotor).  I cleaned the inside of the distributor cap with electrical contact cleaner and a clean cloth.  My car has been running fine ever since this one time experience.  I suppose what had happened was that the carbon brush had a break in period initially before it fully seated and that produced the carbon dust.  The cap was not a Lucas but a high quality replacement from one of the preferred Healey vendors.

Mark Neumann
BJ8

Message: 15