[Healeys] Question for Shop Owners / Restorers Only - OD Throttle

Tadeusz Malkiewicz tadeusz.malkiewicz at plusnet.pl
Wed Jul 16 07:04:59 MDT 2008

Alan,

I have driven both, (Volvo 1800S without any OD switch protection) and my
BN2. I am fascinated how the switch works. It's a bit like driving a car
with manual gearbox where the last 5th gear is automatic.  I hate automatic
transmissions, but I have to admit I definitely do like the way the OD works
on the Healey.

Driving switch-less OD car is a bit more pain - you always have to use the
clutch when getting out of the OD and accelerate when going into OD..

Norman, none of the Volvos had the OD switch, and there were quite a few of
them: almost all the 1800s (almost 50000 cars), a few of the Amazons, and
than the 140s. (The 240 also used the Laycock OD, but I think it was some
newer type.)

So, my Vote is for the OD with the switch.

Tadek.

PS. I begun to think few weeks ago how to install the switch on my Volvo
1800S... ;-)