[Healeys] BJ* Wheels and Tire Sizes? Research is helping.

Robert Blair rnbmail at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 15 09:19:31 MDT 2008

Dallas, Thanks, I agree. This has gotten complicated due to the limited size
choices available today - ie no 175R15 for the 4 1/2 or 5 rim.

The original tire size for the Healey was 590x15 which had a diameter of
almost exactly 26 inches.  Interestingly todays closest equiv would be the
185R15 at 26 inches - which looks too fat on the std 4 1/2 inch rims.
However, it looks fine on a 5 inch rim with its narrower 6 inch footprint.

While a lot of folks seem to like the look of the 185/70-15 with a diameter of
25.25 inches and the 165R15 with a diameter of 25.25 inches - they are both at
least 1/2 an inch under the original diameter - which is of course emphasized
by the higher rear suspension.

As I will use 5 rims, I am limited to the choice of 185R15, 185/70R15, or
165R15 - all within 25.25 to 26 inch dia.  As I do not like the fat footprint
look/about 7 inches, but do like a full wheel well, I am now leaning toward
the 185R15 Vredestein which has the narrower 3 band tread pattern/6 inches and
a 26 inch diameter.  Make sense?

   Robert N. Blair  65 Yellow BJ8  rnbmail at yahoo.com