[Healeys] Walmart Tires

Bob Brown blkbt7 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 12 08:55:22 MDT 2008

List,
As we may recall the subject of Walmart tires came up in the "Mad Dash"
story. Since it was a mad dash from San DIego to Chicago in 3 day s to
catch
a an international flight, emergency measures were required.
The tire that
required replacing was new ( a set of 4 one mionth before the
trip). A staple
was seen in the tire at a gas stop, exit 272 I-80 in Kearny, NE.
The tire held
air but with 700-800 miles remaining could not be trusted.
Walmart had
195-60/r15 Goodyear American Eagles or Birdgestones. I had
195s on the car.
Crome wires no tubes, except for the spare. I purchased 2 tires,
put both on
the rear, for a match on the axle. The spare was replaced with the
other good
recently purchased tire. They did have a time mounting the 195 on
a original
painted wheel with a tube, but it is a spare. I will replace that wheel
in
the near future to match the remaining wheels. They did attempt balancing,
don;t recal what machine, but did not have a problem with therear as we
continued.
So for just under $200 and 1 hours time we were back on the road.
The Walmart
employees mentioned that they see quite a variety of tires to
mount being
in the middle of the Cornhusker state, farmers and their sons
have a wide
variety ofd vehicles needing tires.  Npt being able to locate
Austin-Healey in
their computer to write up the purchase was their major
problem but they
worked around that to expedite our stay.
BTW, as we waited
Ian noticed a set of tires ona rack that were just right for
a Sprite if
needed.
Bob

Subject: Re: [Healeys] Walmart Tires

And how about the
balancing of said wheels and tires?

Keith Pennell

> This begs the
question....what make and size tire for a Healey was available
> at Walmart?
And with the likelihood of wire wheels, somebody at a Walmart
> actually knew
how to handle and install tubes?