[Healeys] Return From San Diego

Bob Brown blkbt7 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 6 21:06:17 MDT 2008

We left the hotel about 4:15 AM Friday, north on I-15 to I-70 in Utah and
then east on I-70 to Green River,UT. Hot was not the word for the day. Almost
719 miles the first day, stopped just before dark (what ever time that was).
Ian drove the Bugeye and I the BT7 all but 60 miles the ladies drove, they got
the hottest part of day and the hottest road. Had a minor bout of vapor lock
in mid Utah in the BT7, as with the trip out both cars ran HOT. Most of the
day we drove by engine temperature rather than speedometer.

Saturday we let
about 5:15 AM, Vail pass and the Eisenhower pass were spectaclular as was most
of the scenery before Denver. Leaving early allowed us to use a little more
speed vs. Friday. The Lempert 3:55 gear is certainly not meant for uphills
like you find in the Interstate in CO. The second mountain was a lot easier
than the first after getting a little experience. Ian continued to  tinker
with the front suspension, sway bar, toe-in. At our lunch stop Ian replaced
away bar bushing with a couple of pieces of rubber hose I had. It held togther
until we got home.  The BT7 picked up a staple on the left rear but held air.
Walmart had  a pair tires to replace the unfixable and put the other in the
boot as a new spare. 764 miles to York, NE. stopping at about dark again.

Sunday, slept in start on the road at 7 AM, no excitement except the delay for
a motorcycle accident clean-up in Iowa some place. The Bugeye is usung a
little oil but not an unmanageable amount. Engine temperatures were much
better able to run in upper 70 mph range most of the day. Arrived home (Cicago
suburb) about 5:30PM only 528 miles today.   a total of 2011 miles from
SanDiego to Chicago in 3 days of driving:) Don't know why Gary was in Colorado
after 3 days when he only had to deal with one person at all the rest stops?

Next year Conclave is in Kingston, Ontario, just over a days drive, what a
relief.
Bob

hello list,
Well, I've started my solo voyage back to Nort'
Carolina.  .  A hot trip taking 10 hours to reel off 444 miles.  Just made it
to the
Comfort Inn front shelter when a hail storm broke out.
Day 2 was a
5am to 10am run through fantastic Northern AZ - Southern UT
scenery to
Blanding UT.  300 miles in 5 hours flat; now we're talking!  Steve,
I missed
seeing you guys.
Day three was 6am to 12 noon, 365 miles to Dillon, CO.
GaryB and the Silver Bullet