[Healeys] loud clatter & conclave followup

Steve B. Gerow steveg at abrazosdata.com
Thu Jul 3 15:11:15 MDT 2008

Just got back from Conclave in San Diego--short distance but high heat
content.

Left San Diego for Altadena (N of Pasadena, 142 miles one way via the inland
route).

Had added STP Red to my Shell 20-50 oil prior to trip. Added Marvel Mystery
Oil at all fillups to prevent any [what I think is] valve train clatter.

No clatter heard at any time.

Today approx 125 of the 142 miles was at 95+ degrees ambient. Car ran at
190+ to 205 the whole time. 3000 rpms used as max cruise.
14.1 mpg on premium--no fuel problems or hesitation of any kind. Stopped for
lunch at Tudy's Tacos in Corona where it was around 90; no flooding on
restart 20 min later with engine around 212.

Cooling system is clean, 3 yr old core, 6 blade Nock fan with beefed shroud,
100% purified water with Water Wetter & water pump lube. Stock 7lb cap.

1/4 quart of oil used in trip which was around 350 miles total.

FWIW
--
Steve Gerow
Pasadena CA