[Healeys] WG: AH 100 first driving impressions - Boy this is fun!...

Josef.Eckert at t-systems.com Josef.Eckert at t-systems.com
Tue Jul 1 12:52:51 MDT 2008

Hello Tadek,
concratulations.
Here my personal answers (my experiance) to your questions.

1. You should not feel any play, perhaps some marginal, not more than
1/2 inch.
2. The steering wheel should have a tendency to go back.
3. The usual sources can repair the gearbox 4. Cruising in 3rd or
perhaps 4th 5. above 10lb to about 50 6. about 190 is normal, my engine
very rarely goes above that, but I have problems when starting after a
minute ( when I fill up with petrol (vapour lock) 7. I use 98 octane,
but 95 should be possible (never tried) 8. about 11 to 12 Liters to
100km 9. Only way to solve is to wear glasses 10. This is normal 11. You
can put in the indicators, where the reflectors are normally, and buy
the reflectors for the BJ8 to fit under the bumper. In Germany it is
allowed to keep the original rear lights. So I stayed with the original
red.
12. yes,

Hope I could help.

Josef Eckert
Koenigswinter/Germany

1. What sort of play should I have on the steering wheel? It's the late
type
BN2 steering box.

2. The steering wheel does not 'turn back' after a corner (like most
modern cars). Should it? (I have rebuild the steering box with a new
bush.)

3. When shifting from 2nd to 3rd there seems to be no synchronization -
are the parts available?

4. What gears do you use when driving through the city? I found 2nd and
4th most useful - it seems as though it could be a 2 speed gearbox...
:-)

5. What should be the oil pressure while idling & while driving?

6. What should be the water temperature? How high should it go up when
you stop the car?

7. Should I use 98 or 95 octane petrol? (these are European standards)

8. What should be my fuel consumption?

9. I am almost 190cm, so.. when driving, the chrome top edge of the
window is on my eye level. Is there any remedy here? Anyone with similar
problems (& solutions)?...

10. When the seat is in the rearmost position the seat back (squab)
seems to be resting on the folded roof, not on the seat frame. Have I
folded the roof incorrectly or is this normal?

11. I might be forced to install orange indicators in the rear. (I hate
the
thought) Nonetheless, does anyone have pictures of a neat solution to
this problem?..

12. The tow in should be set like in the book? (1/16-1/8")?

As usual, all help would be appreciated...

Many thanks!..

Tadek