[Healeys] My BN2 has finally arrived!...

Alan Seigrist healey.nut at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 19:05:01 MST 2008

Tadek -

- the reverse jumps out of gear

It is likely that the cover of the gearbox has been removed in the past and
there are three little balls and springs in the casing that can pop out.
these little balls and springs are very important because they slot in the
selector shafts and keep the gears from popping out.  It is very common for
mechanics and un-knowledgable owners to take the gearbox cover off and lose
these balls and springs.  Replace them, they are very easy to get from Moss
or SC parts.

- when downshifting from 3rd to 2nd it seems the synchronization is weak, an
I should use the gas pedal to accelerate the engine.

There isn't much you can do about this, the gearbox is not really designed
for downshifting.  Most healey people I know do not downshift.  I would
recommend that you don't do it either - it is cheaper & easier to replace
your brake pads than to replace your gearbox - use your brakes for braking,
not the gearbox.

- there are leaks from rear shocks

Send them to Peter at Worldwide : http://www.nosimport.com/ .  He's the best
in the world at rebuilding these and his prices are very fair.

- there seems to be an oil leak from the engine - either from the valve
cover or from the head.

I looked at your pictures and the leak you have is from the head gasket.
This is very common in the 100 motor and usually can be fixed if you
retorque the head.  The 100 head is not optimally designed in this area and
requires retorquing to fix the leak.

- the carpets do not fit.. at all..

They never do.  No carpet set ever fits in any healey.  You are much better
taking rolls of carpet to a trimmer and having him fit them into your car.

- the armacord mats are missing from almost everywhere...

This is also very common.  Armocord with regular use only lasts 10 to 15
years so it's usually missing in older cars.  Just order a new set.
Interestingly armacord sets seem to fit much better than the carpet sets,
I'm not sure why.  They usually just need some trimming.

- the underside is sprayed with some black stuff which looks horrible.. but
may be good for the car.

That is undercoating.  Not the best thing to put on your car, as it can draw
in moisture and cause rust over time.  I'd put some waxoyl on there and that
should help.

I also notice that your car has a non original front box member on the
Chassis.  That is fine to leave it there, as it provides protection when
jacking the car up.

Other small things to fix :

1) Brake drums should be silver, not red.
2) Engine should be green

Your car looks great!

Alan

'52 A90