[Healeys] Rear axle oil seals

andy pole ampole at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 26 08:38:45 MST 2008

Bruce
I have just rebuilt my rear axle, and there are pictures of all the bits and
it being assembled, the link is from john sims website.
Basically the end of the axle tube has the inner hub (which has the 5 wheel
studs pressed into it and inside an oil seal ntk 1929 and the wheel bearing
which is a 4209atn9). The hub bearing inner race rides on the axle tube and is
locked in place by a lock washer and large 8 sided 2. 13/64 very thin nut (do
not use a drift or chisel to undo it as the po may of, these nuts are also
handed for each side of the axle).. The half shaft then slides inside the axle
tube and has a spacer that has an o ring sitting on the outside which fits in
the recess of the hub and halfshaft with the gasket. Note the oil seal sits
with the metal part or shoulder to the bottom of the hub recess. So with the
bearing in the hub and the spacer sitting on the top  and the gasket on the
outside you measure by putting a straight edge across the spacer it should be
the 0.004 proud of the gasket. To get this I cut some shim steal and placed it
between the bearing and inside of the hub, I also locked the bearing into the
hub with bearing sealer. Use a gasket sealer on both sides of the gasket.
There are two screws holding the halfshaft to the hub but dont apply the
greatest pressure to keep the seal, the brake drum ( one screw)and wire wheel
hub extension then go on, the 5 wheel nuts actually applying more pressure and
squeezing it all together.
The hard parts are cutting a peice of nylon or correct diameter plastic tube
to drive the oil seal into the hub, making or buying the large socket needed
for the axle nut, and firstly removing the 5 wheels studs if they have rounded
shoulders (replace with new). The easy way to pull the hub from the axle is to
remove the halfshaft and turn it backwards fitting it onto the hub studs and
tighten with nuts, the flat end of the halfshaft with sit on the end of the
axle and when you tighten the nuts pulls the hub of the shaft.