[Healeys] Healey Hundred Engine

Editorgary at aol.com Editorgary at aol.com
Wed Jan 16 13:11:24 MST 2008

In a message dated 1/16/08 11:04:09 AM, healeys-request at autox.team.net
writes:

> Does anyone have definitive information on the history of the 100 engine?
> In
> different books and magazine articles I have read various stories about
> Bedford van engines, engines for the war effort, 4 cylinder version of the
> Chevrolet Stovebolt six etc. etc.

In Clausager's book Original Austin-Healey, he writes:
"A little history may be of interest here. Back in 1938, Austin's new
managing director, Leonard Lord, decided to take Austin back into the truck market.
He did so by producing a virtual coy, engine and all, or the contemporary
Bedford make by General Motors in Britain. The Bedfor engine, in turn had been
based on the Chevrolet 'stove-bolt' Six from 1929... ."
>From there, you go to the four-cylinder version used on a planned British
equivalent of the Jeep, which went into the 1948 A70, which was fitted into the
A90 Atlantic, and from there took for the Austin-Healey 100.

So, the Healey 100 engine was a descendent of the GM Stovebolt Six!

Cheers
Gary