[Healeys] Horn Problems

Michael Salter msalter at precisionsportscar.com
Tue Jan 8 15:26:49 MST 2008

Hi Kenny,
It sounds to me as though you may have 2 problems here.
One terminal of each of the horns on a Healey is constantly powered (purple
wire). The other terminal is wired all the to the horn button (purple and
black wire). When the horn button is pressed this connects the purple and
black wire up at the button to ground and the horns sound.
The fact that your horns sound when they are attached to the chassis of the
car indicates a probable problem with the horns themselves.
With this fixed you should still not get a ground on the purple and black
wire until the button is pressed. I suspect that you have a frayed wire on
the stator tube harness of the switch is assembled incorrectly.

Michael Salter
100 (1953)
AHX12 (1953)
Bugeye (1961)