[Healeys] Brake system rebuild

Carl Johnson healeys at carlivar.com
Mon Jan 7 12:39:43 MST 2008

I'm going through the brakes on my 20-year-sitting BJ8. Have a bunch
of questions if anyone has any tips/advice...

First, I assume it's a good idea to go through the wheel cylinders
and calipers as part of a car revival like this. The master brake
cylinder was in pretty bad shape (piston was stuck until I soaked it
for a couple days and finally got it loose). Visual inspection of the
calipers/wheel cylinders probably not enough.

Should take out the servo and go through that as well?

I'm thinking I will go with DOT-5 silicone fluid while I'm going
through the whole thing and the lines are empty. This may be my best
chance. It's expensive though... anyone know where to find the best
price on DOT-5?

What color should I paint the clutch and brake master cylinder?
Black? Any specific paint recommendation?

Also I find it surprising that the the brake master cylinder has a
threaded rod at the pedal linkage end but not the clutch cylinder
rod. I would think the clutch would be adjustable rather than the
brake. Is this correct, or did a previous owner mix up the rods?

Finally is there anywhere to buy individual brake parts? Moss only
sells the rebuild kits (rubber parts) or complete cylinders. I may
just need a new piston, as mine is pitted (not so bad) but also has a
tiny bit of raised corrosion (could score the cylinder if I don't
sand it or something).

Thanks!
Carl