[Healeys] healey frames

Larry Varley varley at cosmos.net.au
Sat Jan 5 16:24:11 MST 2008

Pat
You can do this yourself with a spirit level. Set the frame level off
the top face, leave the springs out of the front end and brake backing
plates. Put a 2 inch spacer under the shock arm stop as in this photo -
http://www.acmefluid.com.au/larry/page10.html
Cut a piece of straight hollow square tube or timber 20 1/2 inches long
to simulate the mean diameter of your tyres  and attach it vertically to
the to the front of the stub axle forging using the brake backing plate
holes with no screws coming through the outer face.
You can then easily check against the outer face of the tube/timber with
a spirit level in both the front ahead and full lock positions. Over the
length of the tube/timber each 1/8 inch off vertical equals 1 degree
angle from memory.
If you get the choice I would be aiming for zero camber for a road car
on radial tyres but you probably won't get that without fitting
Kilmartin camber plates or the eccentric top shock bush. In my opinion
the less positive camber the better.
I set my car up like this, it steers beautifully, doesn't scrub tyres
etc etc.
Cheers
Larry Varley
Austin Healey 100 restoration site