[Healeys] Insurance

Leonard Hartnett thehartnetts at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 3 17:42:24 MST 2008

Gary:  This is not really a question but a repeat of the e-mail I sent in
October last year plus some added comment.  It does pertain to insurance and
maybe there is a question in it.  Following is the result of my contact with
Haggerty last year:

"A quote from Hagerty at the same coverage levels as my 'regular' policy was
only $26 per year less.  Not much of a savings and not what I was led to
believe from their advertising.  The economics get worse when one considers
that my multi-car discount on my regular policy ($98) would go away.

Hagerty requires that the car be in a garage when not in use (don't leave it
in the driveway), has a 5,000 mile limit (my average over the last 5 years
is a little over 4,000 miles annually), strongly discourages its use for any
personal trips, and requires that my wife and I each have our own 'other'
vehicle (this MIGHT be waived since we have no need for two other cars). The
only benefit I see is the agreed value coverage.  I do not consider my car a
'daily driver' but I do drive it whenever I have the opportunity and that
includes those personal trips to the barber shop or hardware store (local),
Fairfield (10 miles away), Vallejo (25 miles away), Sacramento (35 miles
away), etc, etc.  I could not live with the use restrictions.".

It is obvious from responses on The List that there are Healey owners who
can live with the driving restrictions (or they ignore them?) and would
NEVER park their car in a public parking lot.  I bought my Healey to drive,
not park in the garage.  Once, I did restrict my driving for a year.  When I
rolled the car out of the garage, it was a mess.  It had deteriorated
without use.  It would hardly start and when it did, it ran terribly.  It
took many miles for it to 'recover' from its inactivity.  I will never do
that again.

It would be of interest to find a policy that had agreed value available yet
did not have the driving and parking restrictions that have been
encountered.

(The Other) Len
Vacaville,  California,  USA
1967 3000 MKIII, HBJ8L39031