[Healeys] oils

TERRY COLL coll44 at msn.com
Wed Feb 20 17:49:29 MST 2008

For all those interested in the oil debate I got the following automated
answers from the ask the expert part of the Castrol USA website:

Question:
I've heard you now sell synthetic motor oil designed to be used in the old
flat tappet type engines of the 50's and 60's.  Is this in fact true?  If not,
what motor oil can you recommend for a 1964 Austin Healey 3000 engine?

b"  Can I use SYNTEC in an old engine?     [7%]
A quality synthetic motor oil, such as Castrol SYNTEC, can be used in old as
well as new cars, including cars in which conventional oil was previously
used. While using a synthetic motor oil in newer cars has been well
documented, Castrol SYNTEC also provides added protection through enhanced
seal compatibility- which is extremely important for used cars. Therefore,
using Castrol SYNTEC is beneficial for the good health, long life, and top
performance of new and old cars. And consumers looking to get the most out of
their car, new or old, should consider using Castrol SYNTEC full synthetic
motor oil. For classic cars equipped with flat tappet cam engines, Castrol
Syntec 20W-50 with a boosted level of Zinc anti-wear is recommended for those
vehicles that require a higher viscosity engine oil.

b"  Is there any truth in the stories of modern gasoline lubricants causing
premature wear to older engines with flat tappets?      [4%]
Older engines that use flat tappets could be sensitive to reduced levels of
phosphorous in oil formulations. It appears that 0.1% is about the cut off
point, so oils for flat tappets should contain more than 0.1%. Phosphorous has
been steadily going down as the amount of ZDDP (Zinc Dialkyl DithioPhosphate)
has been reduced to ensure compatibility with exhaust after treatment.

Sorry, it didn't provide a part number.  Hope this helps!

Terry Coll  '64 BJ8

Healeys at autox.team.net