[Healeys] volvos

Richard Ewald richard.ewald at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 18:13:18 MST 2008

Not entirely a true statement.
The very first Volvo P1800 were built in England by Jensen.  These were for
model years 1961 and 1962.  The build quality was abysmal and in 1963 the
construction was moved to in house to Volvo's factory in Gothenburg Sweden.
The car was re-badged as a P1800S (S for Swedish built) Approx 6000 cars
were built by Jensen.  To the best of my knowledge these were the only
Volvos ever built in England.
Cite: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_P1800
As far as the parts being Healey parts.  Like most small car makers, Volvo
uses parts that they can source from suppliers.  Brakes are usually from
Girling or ATE.  Volvo used Laycock overdrives for many years on many
different models.  First were the D models, the J and finally the P units.
In the early days carbs were quite often SU, which were also used by many
other car makers.  Later Stromberg supplied carbs before Volvo went over to
FI in 1971 (here in the US, other markets had carbs for many more years)
Off the top of my head, I can think of no Austin parts that were used on any
Volvo model I am aware of.
I think it would be more accurate to say that Volvo bought similar parts
from some of the same suppliers that Healey used.