[Healeys] AH 100 Front & Rear Suspension

Rich C richchrysler at quickclic.net
Thu Feb 14 08:59:42 MST 2008

Tadeusz wrote <snip>
> I have a few questions though:
>
> 1. There seem to be kingpin kits available on the market - are they all
> the
> same? I plan to get it from AH Spares, but wonder if it's ok...

Most of the kingpin kits will be okay, including the ones from AH Spares.
Today's kingpins are different in one place, at the top of the pin the
modern replacements use a Nylock nut whereas originally the kingpin was
drilled in the upper portion of the threaded area to receive a castle nut
and cotter pin to lock it in place.

> 2. What was the paint used on:
> - suspension parts
> - shock absorber arms

Suspension arms, spring pans, swaybar brackets, coil springs, etc were
originally painted a semigloss black, with generally not very good coverage.

Shock absorber arms were a black phosphate or dull black paint.

> Was it powder coat? Gloss? Semigloss?
>
> 3. The nuts and bolts - were they silver cadmium plated?

Earlier Hundreds (with BSF thread system) seemed to be finished in black
phosphate or plain steel. Later cars seemed to usually have the fasteners
finished in either plain steel or clear (silvery colour) zinc.

> 4. Is there any way to take out the brake adjusters in the front? (I would
> give them for plating, but I am not sure I there is an easy way to take
> them
> off...)

The snail cam adjusters cannot be removed, so the back plate and adjusters
must be cleaned accordingly. There is an aluminum bush in there that
prevents the assembly from being dip cleaned in a steel cleaning dip tank;
don't ask me how I know!

> 5. I do not have any workshop here that would have the correct reamer for
> Austin Healey suspension.. What are the correct dimensions for reaming top
> and bottom bush? Or maybe someone has a reamer somewhere being useless??
> :-)
>
> And now for the rear suspension:
>
> 6. Does anyone have a picture of original (or restored as original)
> picture
> of rear suspension and brake parts?
>
> 7. How were the leaf springs treated in the rear?

The rear leaf springs were finished in a satin black finish.