[Healeys] AH 100 Front & Rear Suspension

Alan Seigrist healey.nut at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 19:51:17 MST 2008

Tadek -

Two things:

1) Most healeys I have seen have very solid king pins.  Before going through
the trouble to rebuild your king pins (fixing them is a big pain in the
butt), check and see if your king pins are worn to begin with.  If there is
no back and forth lateral movement on the king pins, I'd leave them alone,
they hardly ever wear out if the car is regularly driven and somewhat
regularly maintained, and it looks like your car was well taken care of.

2) If you are looking for guidance on how our cars were built and painted
from the factory, I would HIGHLY recommend that you get this book:

http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=29492

If you were to buy one book on the Healey, it should be this one.  This is
one of the best restoration books I have ever seen for any car, it is
excellent and will answer 95% of the questions you may have on what's
original and what's not.  It will tell you how the suspension was painted,
with pictures.

By the way, your suspension looks very good.  One piece of advice, do not
buy hard polyurethane bushings for you car, they can wear out your
suspension (the rear A arm is shorter than the front, the bushings need some
give).  If you buy a urethone bushing, get them from Noltec because they
sell soft bushings:

http://www.noltecsuspension.com/

The blue bushings they sell are perfect for use on a street car, and keep
the suspension nice and tight.

Best Regards,

Alan