[Healeys] clutch master cylinder problem

WILLIAM B LAWRENCE ynotink at msn.com
Mon Feb 11 22:46:42 MST 2008

The Girling master cylinders have a non-return valve on the fluid return
port at the end of the bore that is closed when the piston is pushed
forward. If there is not sufficient free play in the linkage sometimes the
non-return valve does not open on release. There must be at least 1/16" of
free play at the cylinder when the clutch pedal is released or you will
experience symptoms much like you have described.

My experience with Girling alloy components is that the cylinders are rarely
damaged and can be rebuilt as long as the bores are smooth. They are pretty
simple and with a little study and understanding of theory you should be
able to rebuild it as well as a new one, or better depending on the
supplier's quality control.

Bill Lawrence