[Healeys] clutch master cylinder problem

Steve B. Gerow steveg at abrazosdata.com
Mon Feb 11 22:04:51 MST 2008

In the course of rebuilding my clutch, I've discovered I must have rebuilt
the clutch master incorrectly.

My clutch stays locked up because even with the pedal in the retracted
position, the circuit is not open and the hydraulic fluid is not able to
flow uphill to the reservoir. This caused a new 18 month old clutch to start
slipping. Small wonder.

Therefore when installing my new BJ8 clutch in my Smitty setup, I observed I
could push down on the clutch pedal, but when I took my foot off the pedal,
the operating lever retracted little if all.

I have an old brake master cyl on the bench and, blowing through one port,
observed there's an open circuit between the input connector and the output.
If the pushrod is pushed in even a slight amount, the circuit is blocked.

Will be removing the cylinder from the car and testing it for the open
circuit and if not, figuring out why the circuit isn't open.

I realize the argument here is why rebuild the things in the first place if
you can by a new one for X amount, but what the hell, it seemed like a good
idea at the time.
--
Steve Gerow
Pasadena CA