[Healeys] Annoying noise from steering column

Peter Ehn peter.ehn at it-arkitekterna.se
Sun Dec 28 09:12:12 MST 2008

Hello all!

This summer, after rebuilding my entire engine and getting it tight and smooth
and quiet, I now have a new issue to deal with (perhaps because I haven't
heard it earlier):

At idleing speed, I have a very annoying noise coming from my steering column.
It sort of goes "cloink-cloink-cloink" in beat with the engine vibrations.
This bugs me, because the car otherwise "ticks like a clock". At higher revs
it is not audible. If I, e.g. when at a stop, hear this noise, and slightly
put pressure on the steering wheel (right or left) it seizes. At idle again,
standing at the engine bay, I can actually feel and hear vibrations approx.
40-50 cm in front of the firewall.
Is it the stator tube? Or ? Should I dismantle the whole steering column an
steering gear? Alot of work for a little noise, but who said we're not crazy?

Appreciate any ideas or experience of something like this.

Brgds, Peter Ehn

Peter Ehn, 1967 BJ8-42208
Eloppevdgen 36
168 56 Bromma, Sweden