[Healeys] BJ8 Starter

WILLYS49 at aol.com WILLYS49 at aol.com
Sun Dec 21 11:33:29 MST 2008

Jon and all,
The gear reduction starter was highly recommended by many in A-H forum. Since
I was replacing my clutch, I decided to put in a new flywheel ring gear along
with the new geared starter. The problem I encountered was that the new
starter (since it uses a solenoid to thrust the gear end   forward into the
ring
gear) would not mesh. The new ring gear is only beveled on the transmission
side
and works great with the original bendix type starter that draws the starter
gear back into this side of ring gear. The new geared starter unless perfectly
aligned just bangs up against the square cut side of ring gear.
Are ring gears normally only beveled or tapered on one side? Should this
geared starter work? I left several email messages with British Starters but
never
got a response.
Don't know if this helps decision. Just my experience as a novice.
Eric

Also, everyone have a great Holiday!