[Healeys] Speaking of bolts and stuff

BJ8Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Fri Dec 5 15:00:06 MST 2008

Gary, what is really important in a torqued fastener is the tension produced
in the fastener by the torquing process.  Normally nut torque is specified
for "dry" threads.    If a fastener is lubricated and then torqued to a
"dry" specification, it can be overtorqued even to the point of failure
because there is less friction between the lubricated threads to resist the
torquing process.  That is, the tension produced in the fastener will be
higher at the point where the specified torque is reached on the torque
wrench.

If a torque is specified for lubricated threads, it will be stated as such.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC  USA